Bachelor of Science in Construction in Building & Services Management CW417
- NFQ Level 7
- 3 Years
- Further Studies
- Career Prospects
- Entry Requirements
What is the Course about?
With the growing complexity of modern buildings and the regulation of the built environment, there is an increasing need for people with the training and skills to manage the design, construction, operation and maintenance of these buildings. The design and maintenance of sustainable energy efficient buildings is becoming an important priority and this is an important part of construction technology.
This three-year programme will equip graduates with the knowledge and understanding of building construction, building services, building maintenance and construction economics along with the development of management skills. Students will study building performance, energy technology and other technologies used to provide and maintain a suitable environment for the building users. Students will also learn about the strategies for management of these buildings from construction stage, through their full lifecycle of operation to the renewal or decommissioning stages.
- Fully accredited programme by the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB).
- Team-based practical project, based on a different building each year requiring interaction with existing building owner/operator.
- Students participate in national competitions. For example in 2015 IT Carlow students won the Health and Safety Authority’s Safety in Construction competition with a further two teams reaching the final.
- Strong practical and project emphasis through programme.
- Exit award: Higher Certificate in Science in Construction Technology (NFQ Level 6) after Year 2.
What follow-on study opportunities are available?
Graduates of this programme may progress to Year 4 of the Bachelor of Science (Honours) (CW438), specialising in either Quantity Surveying (QSY) or Facilities and Buildings Services Management (FBS).
What exemptions will I receive?-
What will I be able to do when I finish the course?
This course will enable graduates to work in a managerial or technical leadership role with building contractors, specialist sub-contractors, suppliers and manufacturers of building materials as well as building owners and public bodies in the construction, refurbishment and/or maintenance of buildings.
What are the minimum entry requirements?
- 5 subjects at Ordinary Level Grade O6 or Higher Level Grade H7 or better.
- English or Irish at Ordinary Level Grade O6 or Higher Level Grade H7 or better.
- Mathematics at Ordinary Level Grade O6 or Higher Level Grade H7 or better.
Mature applicants will be assessed on an individual basis and may be interviewed.
Building Performance Tech
Fire Safety & Security
Quantity Surveying and Management
For Further Information ContactProgramme Director
Martin O’Neill, FSCSI, FRICS, MCIOB