Bachelor of Science (Honours) Facilities & Building Services (FBS)
- NFQ Level 8
- 4 Years
- Further Studies
- Career Prospects
- Entry Requirements
What is the Course about?
This profession is responsible for the provision, maintenance, operation and renewal of buildings and infrastructure within the commercial, industrial and public sectors. Specific technical and leadership skills are required to manage complex buildings and infrastructure in the most cost effective and sustainable manner.
In the Facilities and Buildings Services Management (FBS) option at Year 4, students will study the modules outlined in the table on this page. The programme features a strong practical element with a combination of lectures and practical work in our specialized materials, hydraulic and environmental laboratories and workshops. Students visit commercial and industrial facility sites during the programme.
- Programme accredited by Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB).
- Students visit commercial and industrial facility sites during the programme.
- Highly practical programme with ‘learn by doing’ approach.
- Training in leading edge technology and software.
- Exit Awards: Higher Certificate in Science in Construction Technology (NFQ Level 6) after Year 2 and BSc in Construction Management with Building Services (NFQ Level 7) after Year 3.
What follow-on study opportunities are available?
Graduates of this programme may progress to an MSc in Management in the Built Environment or to a Research Masters or Doctoral studies at IT Carlow.
What exemptions will I receive?
Professional Bodies Accreditation
The programme is accredited by the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB) and graduates from this programme meet the academic requirements for corporate membership of CIOB.
What will I be able to do when I finish the course?
Facilities and Buildings Services Managers have responsibilities for providing and maintaining a range of services such as: property strategy; space management; communications infrastructure; building maintenance and administration. These roles are required across a broad range of sectors including: industrial, commercial, public sector and government working with direct clients or as contractors.
What are the minimum entry requirements?
- 6 subjects with at least 2 subjects at Higher Level Grade H5 or better.
- 4 subjects at Ordinary Level Grade O6 or Higher Level Grade H7.
- English or Irish at Ordinary Level Grade O6 or Higher Level Grade H7 or better.
- Mathematics at Ordinary Level Grade O6 or Higher Level Grade H7 or better.
Graduates with a relevant Ordinary Degree are eligible to enter Year 4 of this programme. Graduates with a relevant Certificate are eligible to enter Year 3.
Mature applicants will be assessed on an individual basis and may be interviewed.
Construction Technology I (part 1)
Building Services I (part 1)
Materials (part 1)
Management and Measurement (part 1)
Applied Mathematics (part 1)
Construction Technology I (part 2)
Building Services I (part 2)
Materials (part 2)
Management and Measurement (part 2)
Applied Mathematics (part 2)
Building Performance Tech
Fire Safety & Security
Quantity Surveying and Management
For Further Information ContactProgramme Director
Yvonne Finn, BSc, PG Dip