Higher Certificate in Science - Physiology and Health Science CW106
- NFQ Level 6
- 2 Years
- Further Studies
- Career Prospects
- Entry Requirements
What is the Course about?
Physiology and Health Science is the study of the human body with specific focus on how the body functions in relation to health and exercise.
This two-year programme provides foundational level understanding of core physiology and health science areas including: Anatomy, Physiology, Exercise Fitness Instruction, Cell Biology, Exercise Physiology, Biomechanics, Pathology of Injury and many more. The programme combines theory with ‘hands-on’ practical elements resulting in an interesting and rewarding programme.
- This programme provides an excellent foundation for many careers in the health profession sector and enables students to make informed decisions about specialist areas for further study.
- This programme provides an avenue to progress to a number of degree level programmes in the health profession area.
- Premium facilities including a dedicated elite athlete performance gym, large general gym, fitness assessment suite.
What follow-on study opportunities are available?
This programme provides graduates with an avenue to progress to degree level programmes in the health profession area. The programme provides a direct entry point for Year 3 of the BSc (Honours) in Sports Rehabilitation and Athletic Therapy (CW188) at IT Carlow (Subject to available places).
What exemptions will I receive?
Graduates may become members of the Exercise and Sports Sciences Association of Ireland.
What will I be able to do when I finish the course?
Graduates may be employed as exercise and fitness instructors; however, most graduates of this programme progress to further study in areas such as: physiotherapy, occupational therapy, sports rehabilitation, chiropractic medicine, osteopathic medicine, radiography and nutrition and dietetics.
What are the minimum entry requirements?
- 5 subjects at Ordinary Level Grade O6 or Higher Level Grade H7 or better.
- English or Irish at Ordinary Level Grade O6 or Higher Level Grade H7 or better.
- Mathematics at Ordinary Level Grade O6 or Higher Level Grade H7 or better.
Mature applicants will be assessed on an individual basis and may be interviewed.
Exercise & Fitness Instruction 1
Exercise Physiology 1
Research Methods 1
Introduction to Sport and Exercise Psychology
Exercise & Fitness Instruction 2 (Speed & Plyometrics)
Pathology of Injury
Exercise Physiology 2
Research Methods 2
Soft Tissue Manual Therapy
Motor Control / Biomechanics
Neuromuscular Skeletal Asses
Nutritional Biochemistry, Pharmacology and Dietetics
For Further Information ContactProgramme Director
Brian O Rourke, BSc, MSc