Bachelor of Science (Honours) Sustainable Farm Management and Agribusiness CW078
- NFQ Level 8
- New Programme
- 4 Years
- Further Studies
- Career Prospects
- Entry Requirements
What is the Course about?
Agribusiness is one of Ireland’s most important indigenous industries and plays a vital role in Ireland’s economy. This sector has evolved hugely in recent years and farm owners and managers need a diverse range of both old and new skills to survive and thrive in this dynamic sector. Skill sets required include: management; entrepreneurship; agricultural sustainability; soil science; business law; regulations; marketing and many more.
This four-year honours degree programme will equip students with both the practical and academic skills required to own or manage modern day farms of all sizes. Modules include: farm buildings and regulations; farm mechanisation and regulations; animal and plant biology; agricultural sustainability; soil/plant interactions; nutrition; breeding; crop protection; farm business management and IT and research skills.
The programme includes multiple site visits to farms and organic food producers to demonstrate best practice techniques and enhance practical skill development.
- 24-week work placement in relevant farm or agricultural business.
- Multiple site visits to farms and organic food producers for best practice demonstration and practical skill development.
- Exit award – Bachelor of Science in Sustainable Farm Management and Agribusiness (NFQ Level 7) after Year 3 and Higher Certificate in Sustainable Farm Management and Agribusiness (NFQ Level 6) after Year 2.
What follow-on study opportunities are available?
Graduates are eligible to apply for a range of postgraduate Taught or Research Masters at IT Carlow.
What exemptions will I receive?-
What will I be able to do when I finish the course?
This programme will enhance students’ practical skill sets in all aspects of farm management and agribusiness. Graduates will acquire the management and entrepreneurial skills required to pursue careers in farm management; agribusiness or with government and state agencies in the agricultural sector.
What are the minimum entry requirements?
- 6 subjects with at least 2 subjects at Higher Level Grade H5 or better.
- 4 subjects at Ordinary Level Grade O6 or Higher Level Grade H7.
- English or Irish at Ordinary Level Grade O6 or Higher Level Grade H7 or better.
- Mathematics at Ordinary Level Grade O6 or Higher Level Grade H7 or better.
Mature applicants will be assessed on an individual basis and may be interviewed.
Farm Business Management
ICT and Agriculture 1
Academic and Personal Skills Development
Animal and Plant Biology
Crop Production, Protection and Weed Science
Agricultural Economics 1
ICT and Agriculture 2
Farm Financial Accounting
Physical and Chemical Science in Agriculture
Genetics and Breeding
Professional Work Placement
Farm Buildings and Regulations
Farm Business Law
Agricultural Economics 2
Farm Mechanisation and Regulations
Animal Production and Product Quality
Environmentally Sustainable Farm Management
Advanced Crop Production
Integrated Farm Management
For Further Information ContactDeputy Head of Campus
Dr Janette Davies
BSc, MA, PhD, MMII
T: 053 9185800