MBS UCD Smurfit School
BBS (Hons) Services Marketing, Institute of Technology Carlow
Vice President for Development & Research
Declan is the Vice president for Development and Research at Institute of Technology Carlow. Prior to this he lectured in the School of Business and Humanities primarily teaching management and marketing modules. He has also lectured in the Department of Marketing in NUI Galway, and has been a guest lecturer in FHTW Berlin, University of Voronezh (Russia) and the Technical University in Warsaw (Poland) and with various Erasmus partners.
He has presented conference papers in Ireland, Britain, France, Germany, Argentina, and the United States on topics as diverse as Sustainable Development, Contemporary Marketing Practice in Ireland and The Use of Business Simulation Games as a Training Tool. He has also written book chapters and articles published both in Ireland and abroad and was one of the editors of a series of books on ‘Enabling Responsible Living’ published by Springer between 2013 and 2015.
- Research Interests
- Research Supervision
The area of education for sustainable lifestyles has been the focus of Declan’s research in recent years. He has been the chair of the editorial board for a pan European project entitled the Programme for Education and Research for Responsible Living. This is a project co-funded by the EU, UNEP, UNESCO, and the Swedish and Norwegian governments. Declan has responsibility for a working group involving partners in Portugal, Norway, Turkey, Poland, and Finland. This group is required to carry out research on attitude and behaviours related to sustainable lifestyles. Declan has responsibility for directing the research activity of the overall project.
He is also presently conducting research in higher education management and specifically looking at the role of a higher education institution in its region.
He is presently chair of the IT Carlow Research Steering Committee.
- Enabling responsible Living, U Schrader, V Fricke, V Thoresen and D Doyle Editors, Springer (2013)
- Consumer Citizenship – Promoting New Responses V4, published by University of Hedmark, Norway (2009). D Doyle Editor
- Consumer Citizenship – Promoting New Responses V3 Building Bridges, published by University of Hedmark, Norway (2008). D Doyle Editor
- Consumer Citizenship – Promoting New Responses V2 Catalysing Change, published by University of Hedmark, Norway (2007). D Doyle Editor
- Consumer Citizenship – Promoting New Responses V1 Taking Responsibility, published by University of Hedmark, Norway (2006). D Doyle Editor.
- An Examination of Buying Centres in Irish Biotechnology Companies and its marketing implications, with Paul Howard; Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing, vol 21:5 (2006)
- Management for Marketers, Marketing Institute, (2003) (Text book)
- Using a Business Simulation to Teach Applied Skills - The Benefits and Challenges of Using Student Teams from Multiple Countries, with F. William Brown (Montana State University), European Journal of Industrial Training. Summer 2000
- Economic and Marketing Development in Ireland, D. Fleming and J. Ward (NUI Galway), in Social and Economic Development in Economies under Transition, University of Voronezh,
- CKR FM: The Use of Marketing Research to Reposition a Radio Station, In Radio on the World Stage published by the American Research Foundation (ARF) and the European Society for Opinion and Marketing Research (ESOMAR), Amsterdam
Peer Reviewed Conference Papers
- Is there a potential use for SCOR model in SME’s in South East Ireland with particular reference to Perfect Order Fulfilment? With Michéal Ó Fearghail & Rita Grange, Logistics Research Network Annual Conference, Birmingham, 2013
- Building Inter Community Development projects from school based initiatives. Sustainable Development Conference; Technische Universität Berlin, March 2012.
He has supervised in excess of 20 masters dissertations, mainly on marketing related topics.