Dr Brian O'Rourke
PhD (Chem), UCD, 1983
BSc (Hons), UCD, 1979
- Research Interests
- Research Supervision
Brian O’Rourke obtained a PhD at UCD in physical chemistry in 1983 and began work as a pharmaceutical analyst with the R&D laboratories of a Sligo dermatological manufacturer. Here he worked on new product development creating two new patented compositions for the treatment of dermatological conditions.
Four years later he transferred to product development at a large pharmaceutical manufacturer in Athlone, working on controlled-release medications, followed by a stint at a cosmetic manufacturer in Dublin. He moved to Paris in 1989 becoming Applied R&D Manager with Roure, a manufacturer of sunscreening and other speciality chemicals, flavours and perfumes. Here he supervised a laboratory of twenty scientists working on antibacterial and antioxidant properties of various synthetic and natural materials. Two further patents were issued. Returning to Ireland in 1993 he worked as a consultant to a number of cosmetic and pharmaceutical companies in Ireland and in France. He became a member of the part-time staff of I.T. Carlow in 1995 and a full time lecturer in 2000. His research interests are primarily in product development and trouble-shooting and in general surface-chemical applications and he has worked in a close collaboration with Dr Norman McMillan bringing at a vital time a necessary chemical and applications expertise to what was previously for the most part an instrumentation project.
- Use of microemulsions and other novel delivery systems as replacements for organic solvents in industrial processes.
- Pharmaceutical formulation/compounding.
- Use of tensiography as qualitative and quantitative tool in laboratory analysis.
Current Research Projects
- The development of a drop-volume tensiometer without correction factors;
- The analysis of adsorbed protein and cholesterol monolayers;
- The evaluation of Italian olive oils of different source by tensiography and light-scattering.
- Collaborator with Dr Norman McMillan in I.T Carlow since 1996
- Supervisor of two PhD, one MSc post-grad students.
- Member of Institute of Chemistry of Ireland.
- Member of Society of Cosmetic Scientists.
- ‘Microemulsions’, Belgian Patent, 1988;
- ‘Dispersible Emollient Gels’, Belgian Patent, 1989;
- ‘Fragrance Formulations’, Swiss Patent, 1992
- ‘Perfume Compositions’, Swiss Patent, 1993